How to do a reverse video search in 6 different ways (2023)
Want to know the original source of a video on Google or other platforms? Or want to see who copied your video content? You can get this information by doing a reverse video search. Reverse video search is a piece of search engine technology that allows users to search for videos by providing a sample image from a video as a search query rather than text search terms or the full video. It’s a powerful tool that journalists, photographers, content creators, and anyone else who feels the need to use it need.
In this article, you will learn how to reverse video search and reverse image search.
Using reverse video search:
- The most common use of reverse video search is when you find a music video online and you like it, but you don’t know what movie it is. And in this case, you can use the help of a reverse video search engine to get more information about the clip.
- The tool can also be used to check the authenticity and source of a video, find the full video and similar videos.
- Another major use of reverse video search is to detect video plagiarism.
Yes, reverse video search is possible. But this is not directly possible by searching for videos. Fortunately, there are various ways to reverse video search with some tips and tricks. You take a screenshot of the video and use the image to reverse the search, you will get results.
Let’s take a look at 4 different ways to perform a reverse video search.
Get ready for reverse video search
To reverse engineer a video, you need a perfect snapshot of that video. Make sure you play the video in high quality and in full window. Then take a perfect screenshot of the video you want to return the search. And remember the location of the video because you will need it in the given steps.
How to do a reverse video search with Google
Google has tools for almost anything you can imagine. Now it’s very easy to search for reverse images through Google Images. You can easily restore the search on a computer using Chrome or Firefox. On Android and iOS, you can use Google Search, Chrome, or Safari on iOS. If you don’t use any of them and don’t have it installed on your device, you can also use the Google Lens app to mirror search images.
Using Reverse Video Search on PC
- Open Chrome or Firefox on your PC.
- Search for Google images and open it.
- Click on the camera icon that says search by image.
- Select the Upload Image tab and click the Choose File button.
- Select the photo you took from the video you want to find and click Open.
- You can also simply drag and drop the image directly onto Google Photos.
- And it will show the results of images as well as videos.
Reverse video search on Android
- Download the Google Lens app or update the Google app to the latest version.
- Open the app and tap the Photo icon to the left of the camera shutter.
- Browse and select the image you want to return the search to.
- Now it will show related images and video results.
Reverse search on iOS
- Download the Google app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Open the app and tap the Google Lens icon available in the search bar, or you can add the Google widget to your iPhone lock screen like I did, but you need to update your iPhone to iOS 16 or later.
- Now you have the option to take a photo or search for a photo, choose which one you want.
- You also have the option to choose how you want to search by selecting a specific part of the image or the entire image.
- Scroll down and you will find the results.
Reverse video search using Berify – Best verification
Although Google’s image search tool is sufficient to return the video, you may wonder why you need to use alternative or third-party methods to achieve this? There are many reasons why you might want to try Berify. Berify states that it does not use the standard Google Image search. Instead, Bing, Yandex, Baidu, etc., which provide better results. developed their own algorithm that will look at other image search engines like If Google image search doesn’t help, keep other options open, like Berify, a reverse image search.
Reverse search through Berify
Reverse lookup with Berify is simple and straightforward as long as you follow these steps:
- Visit the Berifier website and create a free account.
- Select the free plan and complete your registration. Make sure you’re signed in to use reverse image search on Berify.
- Now click on the big search bar to search for your image. The system will ask you to review your photo.
- Berify will now process the image and come back with results that match your video snapshot.
- Berify will then process the image again and also come back with results from various other search engines, giving you better information about where the images were uploaded or shared.
- Return a search for an image but no results? This is where Berify stands out. Berify will send you an email notification as soon as it finds a result.
The last reason is that you want to choose Berify instead of the default Google Image search. Yes, Berify offers both free and paid plans, but it’s worth it if you’re looking for deeper search results. You can also grab their API.
Reverse video search with Bing
Another way to do a reverse video search using a screenshot of the video is to use Bing. The process is very simple and straight to the point. How to reverse search for a video screenshot.
- Open your web browser and just go to Bing.
- You will now see a search bar on your desktop.
- You will see a microphone icon and a picture icon in the search bar.
- Just click on the image icon.
- Now you can drag and drop the screenshot from the video.
- Visual search will now start searching and displaying results that match the screenshot you uploaded.
Reverse Video Search using TinEye Image Search
When it comes to reverse image search and recognition experts, TinEye is the place to be. They offer a variety of products designed specifically for image searches, such as WineEngine, MobileEngine, and even MulticolorEngine.
Using the same method as before, you can reverse the video search in TinEye. Upload your video frame and wait for the results. TinEye uses a MatchEngine that helps identify original and edited images, including frames from video or cropped images or the culture of creating and creating memes, the various edits that are made these days.
With the help of TinEye API, you will be able to check the results for copyright compliance and extract a separate list of modified images. The API is self-hosted, which means you’ll get faster and better results, with the added benefit of uploading images in .jpeg, .png and even gif format. Additionally, you can use their API with paid subscriptions.
With TinEye Alerts, you’ll be able to track and compare images scanned by TinEye. Even if you don’t have time to wait and search for results, alerts will alert you when it finds an image similar to the one you uploaded.
Reverse search with Yandex images
Yandex is a popular Russian search engine with branches in a number of departments and web services. Despite having its own search engine, Yandex also allows users to perform reverse searches. Follow these steps to learn how to reverse video search.
- First you need to go to Yandex Image Search.
- You will be redirected to the home page of the search engine.
- A large search bar will appear in the center of the screen.
- You will see an image icon in the search bar on the right.
- Just click on the image icon. Just drag and drop the screenshot from the video.
- Yandex will now start showing results for a specific video.
- Just choose what you want and that’s it.
reverse video search through
? Yes, the popular photo library also has the ability to reverse search videos and images, but it has a completely different method. You can search for images in a video by simply typing the image description or by uploading an image to search vice versa. You can also search for images in a specific way, such as orientation, date of first or last use, etc. Of these four options, the reverse lookup option is the easiest to use.
Reverse video lookup is useful as it helps you check whether a video is fake or real and even helps you get rid of fake news that keeps spreading on various social networks and messaging platforms. Among these four, TinEye Image Search seems to be the most advanced method for reverse video search. Thanks to its various engines specialized in searching and returning image results.
Now you know that reverse video search is possible but with the help of reverse image search. Since it is difficult to search the entire video, you will not be able to get the desired result by using several methods. So, we recommend you to try all methods to get accurate results.
So that’s how to do a reverse video search. And if you find this guide useful, be sure to share it with your friends who might want to use it. Also, if you have any query, let us know in the comment section.
Want to learn more about iOS 16? Here is a new video about Apple’s new operating system for the iPhone.