Find all our live #PELE here
00:09 : This live is over. Here’s what to remember from the news this Thursday, December 29:
• Football king Pele died of colon cancer at the age of 82. “He turned football into an art”Brazil’s Neymar saluted amid a flood of tributes to the greatest player in the sport’s history.
• Mandatory testing will be introduced for passengers arriving in the EU from China “unfounded” According to the calculations of the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control, there is no new option, despite Italy’s request in this direction.
• Ukraine has become the target of new strikes “massive” Russians, especially in Kiev. “Electricity was cut off in most regions of Ukraine tonight”Blaming Russia, Vladimir Zelenskyi said with regret “dead end”.
• After a year and a half in opposition, Benjamin Netanyahu regained power after a vote of confidence in his new government, the most right-wing in the country’s history. Later, the 73-year-old prime minister was sworn in.
• Fashion’s fearsome daughter has passed away. British fashion designer Vivienne Westwood, the pioneer of the punk movement, died at the age of 81. In her 50-year career, she has turned fashion into a political forum, particularly on behalf of the climate.
Come back to the news on this stream from 6am with main Juliette Campion.
23:55 : Here is a final selection of your messages dedicated to the death of Brazilian football legend Pele, who followed millions of French people outside the circle of football fans.
23:20 : Can Pele be considered the greatest player in football history? Yes, our journalist supports Julien Lamotte and here’s why.
23:15 : King Pele has left us. His legend will never die. Thoughts for his family and solidarity with the people ?? who are crying for him today ?️ He was the soul of football for the whole world. Champion, magician, genius. Kim’s smile said it all. https://t.co/S2Xvlr5uTh
23:15 : Sports Minister Amélie Oudéa-Castera keeps this smile “genius” football.
23:34 : At a time when the world is crying for Pele, let’s remember those tears of joy. At the age of 17, the young player could not contain his emotions after his first victory in the World Cup in 1958. He even fainted at the final whistle.
23:09 : Brazilian club Santos, where Pele played for nearly 20 years, announced Monday that a funeral will be held at the Urbano Caldeira stadium. “The place where he amazed the world”. The body of the “King” will be laid to rest on Tuesday.
21:57 : An hour ago at the Velodrome, a minute’s applause was held in memory of Pele before the start of the Ligue 1 match between Marseille and Toulouse.
21:54 : “Pelé was the union of beauty and efficiency“Blues head coach Didier Deschamps greets. “A king shall be a king forever.”
21:47 : L’Équipe front page dedicated to Pele on Friday, December 30 https://t.co/FFkVKksVJ6
21:47 : On the front page of @Libe this Friday: ⚫ Pelé, Seleciao #Peléhttps://t.co/nj2k4mQp7h https://t.co/7CVw2Pl9JR
21:46 : You can’t avoid it: Pele will be everywhere on the front page of your newspapers tomorrow morning. Little foretaste, especially with this “Seleciao”. Let it go To the king of Seleção…
21:42 : “Few Brazilians have carried the name of our country as much as he has.”
Three days before his inauguration as president of Brazil, Lula sends Pele “Thank you very much” and wishes him to find his former teammate Coutinho “in heaven”With other football greats like Socrates and Maradona.
21:36 : The biggest names in 21st century football pay tribute to King Pele. “Goodnight, Pele”writes the seven-time Argentine Ballon d’Or winner Lionel Messi. “Inspiration” and “a reference to yesterday, today and tomorrow”for Portuguese Cristiano Ronaldo.
21:32 : Pele remained optimistic during his battle against the disease after being diagnosed with a colon tumor in September 2021: “I’ll play this new game with a smile”he said on Instagram.
21:38 : The Sao Paulo hospital where Pele was treated announced that the former player died today at 15:27. “Due to multiple organ failure due to cancer progression”. During the World Cup, he lifted Brazil from hospital before congratulating Lionel Messi on his coronation. “worthy” against France.
20:56 : A flood of tributes after the death of the legend Pele. A word for the Brazilian Football Federation: “Forever”. Three for Emmanuel Macron: “Game. King. Eternity.”
21:33 : “Before Pele, football was just a sport. Pele changed everything.”
“Her magic will remain”– The Parisian striker writes on Instagram after the death of Pele. “He turned football into art, into entertainment. He gave voice to the poor, black people and above all gave Brazil visibility.”
21:32 : In 2019, after his meeting with Kylian Mbappe, Pele was hospitalized in an emergency in Paris. The Parisian player later voluntarily returned to see him with his parents. “I was very impressed by his attitude”, announced the Brazilian legend as a “Special Envoy”. in the field, “ishe looks like me“he added.
20:35 : The king of football has left us, but his legacy will never be forgotten. RIP KING ??… https://t.co/F55PrcM2Ud
21:31 : “The king of football has left us, but his legacy will never be forgotten.”
The 24-year-old tricolor national pays tribute to the memory of Pele, whom he met in Paris in 2019.
20:31 : Inspiration and love marked the journey of King Pele, who passed away peacefully today. Love, love and love, forever. https://t.co/CP9syIdL3i
20:30 : “Love, love, love, forever.” Pele’s official Twitter accountthe last message confirms the death “In Peace” of “King Pele”on whose life he left his mark “Inspiration and love”.
20:27 : Were you too young to watch Pele’s feats on the field? Catch-up session: our journalist Charlotte Dear presents five key dates from the football king’s careerUntil he retired in 1977 at the age of 37.
20:23 : Decades after his career ended, Pele remains a man of many records:
• Single player triple world champion
• Youngest world champion and youngest goalscorer in a World Cup final (17 in 1958)
• Top scorer in the history of the Brazilian team (77 goals, tied with Neymar)
• 1281 goals in 1363 matches, including friendlies, a FIFA-sanctioned world record